Several priorities of the Thurston Asset Building Coalition (Thurston ABC) have been realized through collaboration with the South Sound Food System Network.
This statement presents a summary of how Thurston ABC services and priorities have been strengthened through collaboration with the South Sound Food System Network.
Members of the Thurston Asset Building Coalition have been involved in a leadership capacity with the South Sound Food System Network since its origin and have helped to articulate the organization’s values, priorities and goals as they relate to growing a strong local food economy and serving people with limited incomes. The Food Hub of the Thurston Asset Building Coalition and many others helped to bring Thurston Thrives (TT) Food Action team into being. Lead agencies within Thurston ABC (Thurston County Food Bank, Senior Services for the South Sound and Enterprise for Equity) have also been involved in the merging of the three organizations (SSFSN, TABC and TT), partnered on common projects, collaborated on grants and formed common networks that support the people we serve in common.
The Thurston Asset Building Coalition holds five priority areas in common with the South Sound Food System Network:
- Encourage collaboration among food system partners to strengthen a path to prosperity for people with limit incomes;
- Address food insecurity by ensuring local healthy food is available to people with limited incomes in our region;
- Strengthen our local food economy through support for business and workers in our regional food system;
- Advance health priorities by partnering on nutrition education and access to healthy food for fragile populations; and
- Influence a policy agenda and priorities that support a strong, fair and just local food system.
The ABC Steering Committee looks forward to future collaborate with the SSFSN on work that helps us achieve the goals we hold in common.